Thursday, January 27, 2011

What? One year already!

Yes, I haven't blogged for more than a year. Gosh... I must have been busy!

Well, yes, I was busy. And before blogging about My Corporate America again, I'd like to update you on my endeavours in what has been a year plenty of sadness, joy, excitement, and change.

When I wrote "To Big to Succeed" in January 2010 I was in the middle of what ended up being a one-of-a-kind experience: the closure of the plant where I worked in Massachusetts. You can imagine the drama surrounding this situation: announcement on Jan 12th 2010, 50 people impacted by a plant closing (give or take). You can envision them interviewing with competitors in the morning and with the parent business in the afternoon, or frenetically inquiring about benefits, writing resumes, looking for referrals in  Linkedin. You get the picture. But here is what made this experience unique; With this kind of restructuring -- I said to myself -- there must be an opportunity to create value that ultimately benefits the employees, the parent company, investors! I followed through, consulted with my company execs, external advisors, created business plans and reached-out to private equity investors. I can't say more... other than it was very exiting and it did not work. I learned tons. Short-cut to the end of the story: I ended up staying with GE Healthcare, and I now run the Surgical Navigation Segment from Salt Lake City. Good thing that I don't need to rename my blog!

At the same time, 2010 was the saddest year of my life. My father passed away January the 19th of 2010. He was 68. So I went to Chile; The family was reunited; We buried his remains in two places: the Chilean coast and the Andean village of Bariloche in Argentina. It was his will. I feel good about him resting in two of the most beautiful, scenic places I know. I realize only now that it took me a year to get over this, and it was not until I returned to Chile earlier this year that I made peace with destiny.

Back to the US, 2010. I had to take care of moving to Salt Lake City. I sold my house in Wakefield MA, and bought one in Salt Lake City, UT. Put the kids in school and daycare, made new friends, started new activities with my wife and  discovered the region. Wow, I was impressed. Incredible outdoors, great weather, and the city has enough stuff going on to be fun.

Work has been extremely interesting too... and now that I finally settled, I feel I have so much to blog about. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment